If you are a woodworking enthusiast at home, owning a circular saw is a must.
It can help you to cut various materials such as wood, plastic, metal, or masonry to make furniture, deck, fence, hardwood floor, and more.
Circular saws divide into three type: hand-held, table saw, and chop saw. It can operate with electricity, gasoline or hydraulic energy.
In addition to using the handheld, you can also attach it to the machine to better support the woodworking.
There are a lot of useful features of a circular saw, why don’t you have one at your woodworking room?
You can find out much interesting knowledge after reading our article, and best circular saw: buyer guide and how to use safely – things you must know.
Let get started to explore.
How to choose the best circular saw?
First of all, you can buy a circular saw with the following parts and features:
Everything about the saw blade
- The blade size
Depending on the model you choose, the saw blades have the right size.
For example, the portable circular saw usually comes with a 4 1/2 inch blade, while a full-size ones use a 7 1/4 inch blade.
But wait – there’s more thing you should know about the blade.
The power of the engine provides the ability to operate efficiently on the saw blades.
The 1HP engine with a 7 1/4 inch blade will help you with the use of many different materials. However, the blade will sink to the hard items.
Meanwhile, the same blade at the end of a 2HP+ drivetrain will be a good helper for you in this case.
- The blade ability of adjustment
The standard circular saw can easily adjust the depth of the cut that you desire.
The cuts are about 2 3/4 inches deep, or mostly for 2 1/2 inches.
Most importantly, the depth adjusting feature affects your experience with the circular saw.
Think about this for a moment.
You need to hold the saw to adjust the depth of how much is appropriate, or you want to change from 90 degrees straight cutting to the tilt of 22.5 degrees or the angle of 45 degrees easily.
It all depends on the adjustment mechanism of the blade.
We have one tip for you. When you want to buy online products without knowing it is a good use or not, you ask people with the same carpentry hobby that possesses the right engine for you to try and see how it feels.
- The material of the blade
If you use a hard material such as steel, there must be an HSS (M2 high-speed steel) blade or carbon steel depending on the material you need to cut.
If you cut most of the wood items, the suitable material is tungsten carbide, or maybe HSS but cheaper.
Let move on the second important thing about a circular saw.
- The saw power
Circular saws are a useful product when it is possible to cut through any hardwood pieces without grinding to stop or slow down significantly. If you need a good performance saw, choose a motor of 15 amp power.
- The weight of a circular saw
When using heavy saws, you may not need much strength to cut hard materials, but for the whole day, you will feel dissipated. Let try an 8-pound saw and 12 or 14 pounds saws, and you’ll see the difference right away.
How to use the circular saw easily
Frankly speaking, a heavier power saw can cut quickly through the toughest material while you need to push more for the lighter one.
However, there are many other aspects to consider when using the saw efficiently including:
- The saw blade must be easy to change.
- The power cord doesn’t cause problems when you are using a saw to cut.
- The machine needs to be appropriately balanced.
- The laser or LED light in the front helps you to see clearly.
The battery and power cord
The battery is best for portable circular saws. With technological advances, battery tools deliver excellent performance regarding productivity, mobility, and convenience.
As for full-size circular saws, you’ll need a long cord to avoid getting caught while using the saws.
The saw durability
For the durability of this product, you need to consider its base plate.
It is the most breakable part. So if the manufacturer supplies a good base plate, it means that they focus on the durability of the product.
If this part is made of stainless steel or aluminum, you may not use the saw for a long time. You should choose a baseplate with durable plastic or fiber reinforced.
Other important features
You may consider choosing the following characteristics of a circular saw:
- To see the cut line, you need a laser or LED illuminated in front.
- When you want to blow away the sawdust, you can buy a saw with a blower or vacuum.
- Or you can also use a saw with automatic braking blade.
- With a battery-operated saw, it’s great to have a battery life indicator to help you know when to charge the saw.
Now you can understand which features of a circular saw you need, keep reading and you will know the steps to use this tool.
How to use a circular saw?
Here’s all you have to do, let follow these steps:
- First, you need to put the wood on a solid surface.
- You will cut through the grain with a crosscut and cut with the grain when you want a rip cut.
- You need to clamp 1×4 onto the sheet to act as a guide for the blade when using a saw with a large plywood piece. Or you should draw or use a speed square to set the line on the wood.
- Next, you adjust the cutting depth.
- Note that you have to put down the wood pieces well.
- You turn on the power before cutting with electric circular saws while with a portable one, you should check the battery carefully.
- Remember that the technique to push the blade of the saw is to rotate through the end of the woodcut continuously and decisively, no stop in the midway if possible.
- Pay no attention to the pieces of wood that fall off when you cut, let them fall to the floor.
Some safety tips when using a circular saw
With a blade-sharp and electrically-operated product, it is essential to grasp the principles of safe use.
That’s why we offer the following safety tips.
Seven things you should do include
- Wear eye protection to avoid sawdust or wood splinters from your circular saw.
- Check the blade sharpness to make sure they cut more easily.
- Unplug the electric saw or remove battery from portable saw before changing the blades.
- Carefully research the surface to be cut without staples, screws, and nails.
- Read the manufacturers manual when purchasing new saws as they will regularly change their product and how the saws operate.
- Warning: The blade has entirely stopped before placing it down or releasing one of your hands. Many saws have an electric brake system for the blade to engage immediately after the trigger is released.
- You just put the saw down or release your hand when making sure the blade has stopped completely. You can buy the saw with automatic braking for the blade after the trigger release.
Four things absolute avoid doing include
- Do not wear loose clothing, have long hair down the saw or jewelry easily stuck in the blade. Just in a second, these things can make you stick to the sharp-edged blade that is spinning rapidly and cause injury poorly.
- Do not stand right after the power saw, and you will be hit by the wood chips when the saw works. It’s better to stand aside.
- Never use a circular saw with one hand, hold and use two hands firmly.
- Do not change the power or any part of the saw in any way.
Here’s all you have to do for your safety when cutting with a circular saw.
Now, it’s time for you to get down to business and move onto our recommended list of the best circular saws.
Let keep investing!
Top 5 Best Circular Saw for Your Need
|DEWALT DWE575SB 7-1/4-Inch Lightweight Circular Saw with Electric Brake|
|SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 15-Amp 7-1/4-Inch Lightweight Worm Drive Circular Saw|
|Makita SP6000J 6-1/2-Inch Plunge Circular Saw|
|DEWALT DCS575B FLEXVOLT 60V MAX Lithium-Ion Brushless 7 1/4″ Circular Saw|
You’d just as soon get the best circular saws as save your budget.
We have the right products list to introduce to you.
So let’s take a closer look.
#1. DEWALT DWE575SB 7-1/4-Inch Lightweight Circular Saw with Electric Brake
You are looking for the lightweight circular saw equipped with an electric brake.
Well, a good suggestion for you:
The DEWALT DWE575SB 7-1/4-Inch Lightweight Circular Saw with Electric Brake provides many useful features:
- Built-in with 7-1/4” Blade
- Weight only 8.8 pounds
- Equipped with an electric brake
- Provide motor of 15 Amp – 1950 watts and Dust Blower
- 57 degrees bevel and stop positively at 45 degrees and 22.5 degrees
The DEWALT DWE575SB 7-1/4-Inch Lightweight Circular Saw with Electric Brake is said to be small but sturdy and durable.
Not only that, to make sure users can use this saw correctly, the manufacturer has added the ball bearing lower guard, stamped aluminum shoe, ToughCord system, high-quality gears, ergonomic handles, and trigger actuation.
In short, you can stop this saw quickly after the trigger is released and start the next cuts faster.
√ Provide long lasting and smooth base for cutting precisely
√ Blow all wood dust to clear the sightline
√ Great price and easy to use
√ You can change the blade conveniently
√ Apply in many uses of woodworking
! Blade may be wobble or run-out
! The footplate may not be properly aligned
#2. SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 15-Amp 7-1/4-Inch Lightweight Worm Drive Circular Saw
Your need is a circular saw with good quality, durable strength, and best cutting performance.
Don’t have to find further!
The SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 15-Amp 7-1/4-Inch Lightweight Worm Drive Circular Saw is an ideal product for you.
How is it good?
- Have equipped the lightest magnesium construction of 7-1/4” Worm Drive
- Provide cut system with cut-ready depth for accurate measurements
- Being the SKILSAW model of high-quality
- Multi use for different cuts with 53-degree bevel
- Powered with 15 Amp and a lower guard
Coming to the SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 15-Amp 7-1/4-Inch Lightweight Worm Drive Circular Saw, you can work with the soft, hard and engineered woods.
This SKILSAW product is still cool while using for a long day of woodworking.
Moreover, you also have a multifunctional wrench for blade change, oil, and brush for maintenance, and the carbide-tipped blade of 24 teeth.
✓ Easy to use and adjust the blade
✓ The dual-field motor is cool during working
✓ The product is durable
✓ Better accuracy with indents for 0° and 45° bevel
✓ Weight only 11.5 pounds
! There may be no gear oil in the gear housing
#3. Makita SP6000J 6-1/2-Inch Plunge Circular Saw
A Makita circular saw is up-and-coming. Ensure that you will get the most convenience.
Take a look at the Makita SP6000J 6-1/2-Inch Plunge Circular Saw:
- Have equipped a 12.0 AMP motor and current limiter for many materials
- Provide an accurate cutting and electronic speed control from 2,000 to 5,200 RPM
- Include soft start for the smooth beginning of work
- Large capacity of cutting
The Makita SP6000J 6-1/2-Inch Plunge Circular Saw is an optimal option to a precise cut without a splinter of a mirror finish.
Interestingly, you can combine this saw with an anodized aluminum rail system, and they can work well together to bring you the best cuts with smallest tear-out.
✓ Provide smooth and straight cuts
✓ Weight 17.64 pounds
✓ Powerful engine and use in many cuts
✓ Work well for cutting sheet goods
! Depth and angle adjustments may not be precise enough
#4. DEWALT DCS575B FLEXVOLT 60V MAX Lithium-Ion Brushless 7 1/4″ Circular Saw
Another DEWALT circular saw, the DEWALT DCS575B FLEXVOLT 60V MAX Lithium-Ion Brushless 7 1/4″ Circular Saw, is very delightful, thanks to the great features that it brings.
What does this product bring to you?
- Offer automatically-changed voltage battery when you change the tools
- Provide a full-size blade and durable aluminum shoe
- Include electronic brake for the blade
- Bevel cut of 57-degree maximum with stops at 22.5 and 45
- Built-in brushless motor – 5800 RPM speed, a LED light, and 7.6 lbs weight
The DEWALT DCS575B FLEXVOLT 60V MAX Lithium-Ion Brushless 7 1/4″ Circular Saw is a suitable selection for power with cordless tools and change between two voltages.
With a high-tech voltage-changing battery and match with groundbreaking 60V MAX and 120V MAX tools, you can make your work done correctly.
✓ Ease in use
✓ The instructions are clear
✓ The cuts are consistent and accurate
✓ FLEXVOLT technology to provide changeable voltage of battery
✓ Stop the blade after the trigger is released
! The saw may not cut through 1/4″ plywood without stalling
! Blade may be on the wrong side
#5. Rockwell RK3440K Versacut 4.0 Amp Ultra-Compact Circular Saw
Not only need you the quality but also concern the paying budget for your new circular saw. It’s okay!
The Rockwell RK3440K Versacut 4.0 Amp Ultra-Compact Circular Saw is to meet your demand.
Why do we say so?
- A powerful, multi-functional and lightweight saw
- Use for various materials
- Provide a slim grip handle for comfortable control
- Bring laser guide and 120-inch cord
- Have the metal guard and dust extraction adapter
Even from the name, you can see this saw is ultra-compact, and you can use it with one hand.
In addition to that, to help you cut more precise and safer, the Rockwell saw has equipped with light, streamlined design, and lock-off switch.
After all, the Rockwell RK3440K Versacut 4.0 Amp Ultra-Compact Circular Saw is an affordable circular saw, but it still ensures the high standards.
✓ Work effectively
✓ Low price
✓ Cut almost anything
✓ Make cut changes easily
✓ Great comfort balance and control
! You may press down the tool hard enough to make a cut
Which one do you choose to buy?
To sum up, the circular saw is one of the essential devices for your home-made furniture. You can make many things with this saw effectively.
It is obviously an essential woodworking tools for anyone who loves making wooden goods at home. You can’t cut accurately and quickly without the best circular saw.
If you don’t have any reason not to purchase one, let take a further step to go shopping outside or visit an online shop.
And one thing to remember, please keep in mind our safety tips to avoid injury.